Over 2,000 universities in the United States offer basketball scholarships to guys and girls who would like to combine basketball and studies. Playing college basketball in the U.S. is the perfect way to improve your game, become stronger mentally and physically, build a network of international friends and earn a respected university degree that will lay the foundation for a successful career, whether on or off the field.
Every year, more and more college players make the transition into the NBA and the WNBA, or other professional leagues throughout the world.
How does college basketball work?
College basketball is different than “regular” basketball: in organization and in atmosphere. You don’t play for a clubteam, but for a university team. In the US, the college competitions and the (financial) stakes are so high, that schools spend a lot of money on their teams and everything around it.
An average team consists of approximately 20 guys or girls, with whom you train every day. With your team you will compete against other universities in the conference. The ultimate goal? Winning the conference! By winning the conference, the team qualifies for the national championships, in which only the best 64 teams can compete. The national NCAA basketball championships are usually held in March and that’s why many people refer to it as “March Madness”.
A typical college basketball game is played in 2 halfs of 20 minutes. This is different from the NBA rules!
The biggest difference is the atmosphere during games, in and around the stadiums. Teammates and fans are constantly shouting, making noise and helping each other out. Don’t be surprised if thousands and thousands of fans show up in a college basketball stadium to check out their favorite players. Many games are broadcasted on live TV and the endorsements and sponsorships deals are unbelievably valuable.
College basketbal fun facts
Did you know that?
- Basketball players are required to play at least one year in college before they can turn pro?
- The rule mentioned above is called the “one and done” rule?
- Anthony Davis, one of the best college players ever, now plays at the Lakers with LeBron James?
- Michael Jordan, the most successful player ever, played for the University of North Carolina?
- Slamstox team member Brian Riesmeijer played for EMCC, also known from the Netflix show “Last Chance U”?
- Every year, the NCAA champion gets an invite for dinner at the white house with the President of the United States?
- Most college basketball stadiums have more than 20.000 seats?
- College basketball is one of the most broadcasted sports worldwide? An average game is broadcasted on 8 TV channels!
- Many college players who don’t make it to the NBA, become professional players in Europe or other countries?