Over 300 universities in the United States offer field hockey scholarships to girls (college field hockey is not offered for guys) who would like to combine field hockey and studies at a high level!
Playing college field hockey in the U.S. is the perfect way to improve your game, become stronger mentally and physically, build a network of international friends and earn a university degree that will lay the foundation for a successful career, whether on or off the field.
How does college field hockey work?
College field hockey is different than ‘regular’ field hockey, both in organization and atmosphere. You don’t play for a club, but you represent your university’s team. Each team typically consists of 23 girls, who train with each other almost every day and compete against other universities in regular and conference games. All teams try to qualify for the national tournament. A typical college field hockey game consists of four 15-minute quarters. The rules in college field hockey are a bit different:
- Games cannot end in a tied score, and so games will always continue in overtime.
- In overtime, both teams have 7 players (including goalkeeper) on the field. The first team that scores in overtime wins.
- In case neither of the teams scores, the game will end in shootouts.
Additionally, a big difference is the atmosphere. Team members and fans are very loud, supporting each other and often shouting encouraging chants while the games are going on – the energy level is high
Slamstox college field hockey players in the USA
Slamstox has many field hockey players at American universities. Our field hockey players include girls who played at the highest national level, like Sarah Sinck, and girls who play at the regional level, like Brittany Lionarons. Our players attend universities all over the United States, from California to the Northeast. Click here to see a list of Slamstox field hockey players.
College field hockey fun facts
- At the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, the United Sates women’s field hockey team consisted of 17 (ex-) field hockey players!
- Together with Slambassador Mink van der Weerden (captain of the Dutch national team), Slamstox organizes field hockey clinics and showcases.
- As opposed to most other sports, college field hockey is not played in every U.S. state. It is concentrated mostly in California and the Northeastern states. Many Southern states such as Florida, Georgia and Mississippi are not home to universities that offer field hockey programs.