What academic level is required?

General - 26 April 2023

To be able to play college sports, you need to have completed at least high school. However, there are several options: – You have a completed HAVO or VWO diploma;
– You have a GED diploma. This is an American high school certificate that you can obtain as a Dutch student, for example, if you only have a VMBO diploma;
– You have completed a (two-year) MBO education;
– You are currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree;
– You have completed a bachelor’s degree.

Here you will find more information about the various options.

If you attended a Dutch high school, you must have completed HAVO or VWO. You can start the process while you are still in school, but you can’t start at a university in America until you get your degree. 

There are also opportunities for athletes who have already started studying in the Netherlands. Are you already studying at a Dutch MBO, HBO or WO university? Then you can often transfer to an American university. Slamstox will help you find a university that meets your academic needs.

"*" indicates required fields

× Hoe kan ik je helpen?